This site is hosted and managed by Nunu Kidane, Director at Priority Africa Network
She alternates living in Ethiopia & US, working closely with organizations in Sub Saharan Africa. Nunu Kidane was awarded the “Champion of Change” by the Obama administration in 2012. She is a graduate of University of California Berkeley and has attended several civil society conferences over the past decade focusing on global migration. She served civil society delegate in the first UN High Level Dialogue on International Migration in 2006, and subsequent gatherings of the GFMD and PGA (People’s Global Action on Migration Development and Human Rights, attending meetings in in Belgium, Philippines, Greece, Mexico, Mauritius, and Turkey. Nunu is a founding member of the Pan African Network in Defense of Migrants' Rights (PANiDMR) and the Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) the Black Immigration Network, and sits on the National Council of the National Network for Immigrant & Refugee Rights (NNIRR) as well as the Global Migration Policy Associates (GMPA).
Africa Moves is an initiative founded on a mission to promote African perspectives in global migration. Established by organizations who value a more inclusive agenda for African voices on global migration policy, it provides important tools for analysis and sharing of information and resources to African civil society organizations (CSOs). Africa Moves uses web portal and social media to build and expand its mission.
The goals of the Africa Moves initiative are to:
• be a mobilizing platform for alliance building among African CSOs hat work on matters of displacement, refugees and migration;
• prioritize the inclusion of voices and perspectives of African CSOs working at national, regional and global level;
• establish a clearinghouse and database, mapping project to identify and network Africa-focused civil society organizations globally;
• respond to increased manifestations of racism, xenophobia of African descent;
• expand alliance building agenda based on recognition and promotion of fundamental human rights of all migrants;
• advance an economic development model that recognizes our sacred earth, promotes environmental justice and human rights over profit;
• build capacity of civil society groups in Africa, for more enhanced and equitable engagement around global migration policy forums;
• work with existing regional, sub-regiona and global institutions to broaden inclusion of civil society voices on matters of migration.
We invite all global allies who value these goals to join us in our mission.
Africa Moves works closely with and endorses the mission of Women in Migration Network (WiMN), which includes national, regional and global
organizations from women’s, migrant, human rights, development and faith communities representing all regions of the globe. For more information, click here.
Organizations contributing to the establishment of Africa Moves include
PanAfrican Network in Defense of Migrants' Rights
Consortium for Refugees & Migrants in South Africa
Contact in Ethiopia: P O Box 685, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
United States: P O Box 2528 Berkeley California USA
Tel: (510) 517 4641